Let's talk...for real for real

My photo
Harlem/Bronx/Yonkers, NY, United States
NO preservatives, NO additives...PURE Coco...

What's on my mind?

What's on my mind?

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Peace within

I couldn't stand to wait any longer. 12 years is a long time to wait for someone to introduce you to your half sibling. The middleperson just wasn't cutting it for me and I took the initiative and reached out. She's the same age as my son and I have in my possession a picture of her when she was about 5. Isn't that something? I didn't know if she knew what me or my child looked like either. Did our father talk about me at all? I often wondered.

What I did was write a small letter, send my biz cards and a few business pens to her address. I included a print out of me and the kid as well. My stomach stayed in knots because I was unsure of her reaction or her mother's. What if she didn't get the mail? What if it was destroyed?

She got the mail. Emailed me a response and I was so content. I was embarassed about misspelling her first name but that's how it was spelled on the back of that picture. I was off by a letter- I shouldn't be THAT hard on myself. I wrote a little about me, provided my home and cell number, all of my email addresses and told her she can contact me when she's ready to do so- emailing is good, calling is even better. Seems she enjoys writing and that was great to hear- we have something in common.

The next step? WHEW. Paying her and her family a visit? Thank goodness they do not live so far- maybe 25 minutes away by car. My concern: will we be accepted?

No comments: